Ofgem needs an EPC to grant Domestic RHI

Ofgem needs to see an Energy Performance Certificate ("EPC") before it approves an application for the Domestic RHI.

There has been some confusion amongst installers as to whether an existing EPC can be used to support a Domestic RHI application once the energy source has been changed from, say, an oil-fired boiler to a ground-source heat pump.

OFGEM has confirmed that, in their interpretation of the Regulations, Domestic RHI applicants shouldn't need to get a new EPC if their certificate is less than two years old and is still reflective of the property; that is, there have been no extensions or material changes. If OFGEM receives an EPC which still shows the previous "main heating" system, that is acceptable. Occasionally, under manual review, OFGEM may ask the applicant to confirm that the original technology has been removed or to provide evidence of this, but that would be all.

For clarity, the need for minimum standards of loft insulation and for cavity walls to be filled (unless there is a compelling and certified reason not to do so) remain. Any EPC which shows the need for either upgrade must either be refreshed once the insulation has been deployed, or must be accompanied by the exemption certificate.

RHI Tax free index linked income for 7 years

RHI tariffs are exempt from income tax. This means that domestic users and other income tax payers will not be taxed on any income received from the Feed-In Tariffs or the Renewable Heat Incentive. RHI payments are also index linked – they are adjusted for inflation on 1 April each year.

Experienced Contractor

A ground source heat pump provides an excellent method for providing emission free heating and avoiding further rises in energy bills, as well as attracting RHI, but they must be installed by an experienced contractor for the full potential to be realised.

Please verify if your contractor is a member of the GSHP Association.