GSHPA Manifesto Brief for the New Government
The GSHPA has launched a Ground Source Heat Pump Industry Manifesto to encourage the new government to stimulate the heat pump market to help achieve the country's commitments under the Climate Change Act.
The GSHPA believes the government's objectives of reducing carbon emissions to meet the UK's commitments in the Climate Change Act can be met swiftly by making adjustments to the existing Renewable Heat Incentive policy.
The installation of ground source heat pumps has fallen to a fraction of DECC's forecasts since the introduction of the RHI. It is time to recognise that ground source energy has a major role to play in reducing carbon emissions and the stimulation of sustainable UK employment growth.
The GSHPA is calling for:
- all Renewable Heat Incentives to be paid over 7 years (instead of being spread over 20 years as non-domestic payments currently are)
- upfront payments to reduce the cost of installing GSHPs
- reduction in the burden of MCS overheads in domestic installations
- removal of the tariff cap which fails to recognise the infrastructure benefit of installing ground source technology which benefits from a very long life and is not limited to intermittent supply
- eliminate the "in use" discounts that are applied uniquely to heat pumps
- recognition of the long term value to the nation of investment by the private sector in ground source energy
The GSHPA has been co-ordinating with Beama, which has also launched a Domestic Heat Pump Manifesto.